Tuesday 26 January 2010

PEAR, GORGONZOLA AND WALNUT SALAD

Another piece of Italy, told trough its tastes. A simple and hearthy salad with an intense flavour. Thanks to a special ingredient, Gorgonzola cheese. If you have never seen Gorgonzola, think of Blue cheese, they look pretty much the same. I personally love Gorgonzola because it is so versatile that can be used in countless recipes and at the same time I hate it because it is so good that I always end up eating too much of it.

Typically made in Northern Italy, Piedmont and Lombardy areas in particular, Gorgonzola definitely reminds me of home. A creamy cheese rich in tradition and with an antique flavour. A real taste of home.
I know that at the moment things are quite mess up down there, and I am saddened when, asked where I come from, people answer just with an “Ah” full of implications.
Sometimes I feel I should be there and do something, resist. But I am here, pursuing my dreams and my career. Italy has never been an easy country. It is so full of contradictions, beauty and misery that it is difficult even for me to understand it.

Sometimes, however, words are not necessary and the real soul of a country can be understood just in a flavour.

Rocket
Baby spinach leaves
Walnuts
Pure olive oil
Salt

Dice a sweet soft pear in small cubes. Then wash the rocket and baby spinach leaves and place them in a bowl. Arrange the pear cubes, the chopped walnuts and gorgonzola cheese on the top and toss together with olive oil and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment